Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Houdini???




There are already a few things that I will do differently from the beginning if we are blessed to have another baby-sometime. For one, I will wait to give him a bottle/paci until he is at least 4 weeks old. We have had quite a difficult time with nursing and I think those are the culprits. I have a meeting with a lactation consultant tomorrow and I'm hoping she has some advice for us. We should have the hang of this by now but alas, that is not the case. Another thing I will do is not wake up the baby during the day. I started with a more strict schedule than I should have and I would not let Smith nap for over 2 hours during the day. This has not helped one bit on the night sleep as he does not sleep for over 2 to 2 1/2 hours at a stretch. It might not make any difference but I think it is worth a shot. I have started letting him sleep as much as he wants to during the day. He seems to be happy, so I'm just going to go with it! Also, I didn't swaddle for the first few weeks..mistake. I am a huge fan of swaddling now! It keeps him from waking himself up over jerky movements when he is sleeping. But, our little man is quite the escape artist! We have tried so many different types of swaddling blankets and he always figures out how to get out of them. We have even watched a dvd made by nurses to get the most effective swaddle. It didn't even contain him! We have tried the kiddopotamus, snug n tug, swaddle design blankets, and halo sleepsack swaddle. None of them have worked but I am very optimistic with something I just received today-the Miracle Blanket! I am hoping it works tonight!

Laura Godwin, a Fort Smithian, took the pictures of Smith when he was about 4 1/2 weeks old. I thought they they turned out so cute!

1 comment:

  1. Good hints! I will need to pick your brain a lot more!!!!

    ReplyDelete